BEFORE THE MASS THE SD SHOULD:
- Arrive 30 min. prior to the Mass.
- Check the service order to note any changes.
- Help the MC with setup if needed.
- Check the Lesson (Epistle) assigned for the day, to be sure it is the the lesson prepared the night before.
- Make sure the Lectionary has been taken to the Lectern.
- Be vested 10 min. prior to the Mass
- Accompany Cel & D to Smoke Sacristy for laying on of incense.
PROCESSION and BEGINNING OF MASS:
SD is the first of the three Sacred Ministers (SM), directly behind the MC. (See Server notes for diagram.) When the altar steps are reached, the lineup is as follows:
A Th SD Cel D MC A
At a signal from the MC, all genuflect. At a signal from the Cel., the SM ascend the steps and to bow over the altar. The Cel. kisses the altar, but D & SD do not.
SD Cel D
The 3 SM move to the side for the reading of the Collect for Purity. They are lined up in a diagonal line, slant “I”. The SD is standing on the Pavement.
The SM then move to the center into a straight “I” formation, prior to the Gloria.
As soon as the Cel says “Glory Be to God on High,” the SD and D move up to either side of the Cel. Censing is generally done during the Gloria, and the SD & D hold the edges of the Chasuble to keep it away from the thurible.
The Cel starts the censing of the altar in the center, moves to the right end of the altar,back to the center, to the left, and finally moves all the way to the right again. Whenmoving past the Cross at the center of the altar, SM pause briefly to reverence it. During censing the SM face the direction in which they are moving and walk forward so as to avoid “crab steps.” Movements of the Cel should not force the other SM to move to a lower step at the ends of the altar, but it happens sometimes. When the SM are all the way to the right for a 2nd time, the Cel hands the thurible to the D, as the D & SD move -in tandem as much as possible- to the floor for the censing of the Cel. D&SD jointly reverence the Cel before and after censing.
After censing the Cel, the SM once again return to the center, on their respective levels.
As the Cel reverences the altar before he turns to say, “The Lord Be With You,” the D & SD turn away from the center, take one step, then turn to face the altar. (This is so the Cel can be seen as he speaks.)
All then move right to form a straight “I” while the Cel reads the Collect for the Day.
At the end of the Collect the SM move to the Sedilia. D&SD help put the back of the Chasuble behind the Cel’s chair. (SD flips up back of his/her Tunicle before sitting.)
The Liturgy of the Word
SM are seated for the OT reading. (Done by a member of the Congregation.)
As the Psalm is sung, the SD stays seated until 2 or 3 verses before the Gloria Patri. At that point s/he walks to the center of the pavement, genuflects, and proceeds to the Lectern.
SD remains facing north – toward the pulpit – and bows during the Gloria Patri. At the end of the Psalm, s/he turns toward the Lectern and announces the reading. (The light should be turned on already, and should be left on after the reading.)
S/he concludes the reading with, “The Word of the Lord.”
SD returns to the front of the altar, genuflects (after the Thurifer has moved off to theside), and ascends the altar steps to move the Altar Book & stand from the Epistle side (right end) of the altar to a left-of-center position on the Gospel side. When passing the Crucifix, SD reverences with a brief bow of the head.
S/he descends steps to lineup position for Gospel procession.
[ altar ]
A Th SD D MCA
The MC leads the procession to midway down the center aisle and the others follow in this order:
When in place indicated by MC, SD turns and faces the altar; D faces West. SD holds out hands for the Deacon to place the Gospel Book. SD should stand so that Gospel Book is in line with the candles.
At the end of the Gospel, the D takes Gospel Book, elevates it, and returns it to the hands of the SD. The Book will be kissed and closed by the celebrant, whether he is standing nearby because he is preaching, or is back by the Sedilia. (SD closes Book if Cel does not.) In any case the SD leads the procession back. However, s/he does not genuflect or pause at the foot of the altar, but returns to the Sedilia and waits for the MC to take the Gospel Book and put it away. The SD sits in his/her chair during the sermon.
At the end of the sermon SM stand and SD leads SM to foot of steps facing the altar.
(There is no genuflection because the SM are not turning their backs to the altar.)
[ altar ]
SD Cel D
CREED : At the mention of the Incarnation, all genuflect with the right knee touching the floor (not the step.)
PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE: SD & Cel remain standing in position as D leads prayers.
CONFESSION and ABSOLUTION: All kneel after D has returned to position.
PEACE: SD and D stand and turn to face each other while Cel faces Congregation. Cel turns to give peace to D first, then SD. (Hands are placed on shoulders, and lean toward Cel on right, then left.)
SM genuflect together and return to stand in front of Sedilia. They give the peace to the Acol. SD remains standing while incense is laid on for the offertory procession.
The Liturgy of the Eucharist:
OFFERTORY ANTHEM: SD and Cel sit while D prepares vessels. (Once again SD aids Cel with Chasuble.)
• SM stand and SD leads them to the foot of the altar steps where they genuflect, then turn to face the procession. When Cel steps forward to receive gifts, SD and D move forward also, but remain slightly behind him.
Note: When turning SD should always turn in toward the Cel.
• The Cel receives the alms bason and hands it to the SD; takes the flagon and passes it to the D; and takes the Ciborium himself.
The SM nod to processors, turn, and go up the steps carrying the offerings.
Note: SD should remove attendance slip from top of bason when handing it to the Cel. for elevation.
• After the Cel takes the alms and elevates them, they are returned to the SD who turns and hands the bason to the CM, who has come up to receive it.
SD then moves right to receive the water cruet from the MC.
- The SD holds the cruet up to be blessed by the Cel, which occurs when D says, “Bless Reverend Father.” SD then pours some water from the cruet into the flagon.
- SD passes the cruet back to the MC, and SD returns to position to the left of Cel.
- Censing is next, with the same movements as during the Gloria. When the SM are all the way to the right for a 2nd time, the Cel hands the thurible to the D, as the D & SD move to the floor for the censing of the Cel., same as at the beginning of the mass.
- As soon as the thurible is handed back to the Th., SD & D return to center, and the straight “I” formation facing the altar. (Cel stays at side for hand washing.)
- D turns 90 degrees to the right for censing by Th, then turns left to face the altar.
- SD turns 90 degrees to the right for censing by Th, then turns left to face the altar. (note: Th bows first, SD replies with a bow, is censed, then both bow again.)
• As the Cel reverences the altar before he turns to say, “The Lord Be With You,” the D & SD turn away from the center, take one step, then turn to face the altar.
• As the Cel turns to face the altar again, SD & D also turn, take one step to return to “I” formation.
SM remain in this position through the Proper Preface. At the words “Therefore with …”, SD & D join the Cel at the altar. (The D should pause a beat to allow the SD to “catch up.”)
SANCTUS and BENEDICTUS:
- SM are all facing the altar. (No angling in by SD & D.)
- SM bow at the waist until “heaven & earth…”, but watch the Cel and stay with him.
• SM cross themselves at “Blessed…”, but again watch the Cel. PRAYER OF CONSECRATION:
- SD and D angle in slightly toward the Cel and elements
- SD is “pointing” for the Cel whenever SM are standing.
- When Cel genuflects prior to elevating the host, SD & D, genuflect and remain down on one knee until Cel rises from the genuflection which follows the elevation.
- These actions are repeated for the elevation of the chalice.
- The SM will genuflect after the Doxology – “By whom and with whom…”- and final elevation. When they rise, they will face East, parallel to the Cel, not angled in.
- SM remain standing during the Lord’s Prayer, the Fraction, and the Prayer of Humble Access.
- At the Agnus Dei, the D will go to the Aumbry and bring consecrated hosts to the altar. (If the Cel has time, the SD will receive HC at this point.)
INVITATION TO COMMUNION:
• As Cel turns to the Congregation with the elements held up, the SD and D turn to face the Cel and elements, and make the sign of the cross.
ADMINISTRATION of COMMUNION:
- SD will receive a chalice from Cel, and when Cel & D go to administer Communion to the Acolytes, SD descends steps at the center to administer to half of those at the railing. (Right side as you face the congregation.)
- SD administers the Chalice with the words, “The Blood of Christ, the Cup of Salvation.”
- When administering the Chalice, the SD always has a secure-but-flexible grip on the Chalice which allows Communicants to guide and tip it, but not to have possession of it.
- The rim of the Chalice is wiped and turned between each Communicant.
- If the Host has not been consumed when the Chalice arrives the SD takes the Host, dips it into the Chalice and places it on the tongue of the Communicant, saying “The Body & Blood of Christ preserve you unto Everlasting Life.” The Communicant should be discouraged from dipping Host into the Chalice himself.
- When all have been communicated, SD ascends steps to right of Cel and places Chalice on the Corporal; D is on the left.
CLEANING & RETURN of VESSELS:
- MC brings up water; Acol are ready to remove vessels.
- SD pours some water into the flagon at a signal from the Cel..
- Cel & D add water to vessels, drink, & wipe vessels.
- Cel passes vessels to SD, who passes them to MC.
- SD pours water over Cel’s fingers for final ablutions.
PREPARATION of VEILED CHALICE:
- When all vessels have been passed to MC, SD and D nod to one another.
- • SD picks up veil and descends steps while D picks up Altar Book and stand.
When SD and D reach their step locations, they reverence, and then immediately ascend steps.
POST COMMUNION PRAYER:
- SD covers chalice and paten with pall and veil, then folds corporal and places it inside the burse. The burse is placed on top of the veiled chalice with the opening to the back.
- SD carries veiled chalice down to pavement where it is taken by the MC. (MC should meet SD at vertical lineup position.)
- SD remains on pavement in line behind D until end of prayer.
SD Cel D MC
BLESSING and DISMISSAL:
• At the end of the prayer, SM move to “I” formation at center.
• D and SD split for Cel to say, “Let us pray.”
SD and D kneel in place and Cel gives blessing.
- D stands up and faces congregation for dismissal.
- At “Thanks be to God,” SD rises to ascend steps.
• SM bow over altar, turn and descend steps.
• SD is in the same position in lineup as at the beginning of the mass.
[ altar ]
[ altar steps ]
Th SD Cel D MC
- At the end of the “play-through” of the recessional hymn, the MC will signal for genuflection.
- All turn to face the congregation.
- SD follows MC in the recessional to the Baptistry.
- At the end of the hymn and final prayers, SD goes up the south aisle, through the Lady Chapel – with just a reverence for the cross – to the Credence and gathers the Veiled Chalice to take to the Working Sacristy.
- After removing vestments, but still in cassock, the SD checks with the MC to see if s/he needs assistance in anything.